Monday, October 17, 2005

What? Freud would have said the exact same thing!

If you managed to make it through the previous post outlining my most interesting dream, I am really proud of you. You must love me very, very much.

I decided to take my dream to Dreammoods, an internet resource dedicated to dream interpretation. This website is the sort which tells you “To dream that you are running through the wilderness, suggests that you are uninhibited and free. You feel that there are no restrictions to hold you back.” Stunning!

Here’s what I found out:

The wedding apparently symbolizes a new beginning or transition. But I think that’s only if I SEE a wedding, which I didn’t (no thanks to my carjacker). So my guess is that since I never made it to the wedding, I missed out on a new beginning.

I feel: angry towards the carjacker. It’s all his fault!

Next we have the cat, which signifies independence and general stereotypical earth-mother girl power stuff- you know, sexuality and creativity and Birkenstocks. They didn’t have an entry for feral cats, so I just went with tigers instead. Tigers, unlike pinko-commie cats, represent “aggression and seduction.” Rrrrrow! Clearly these two symbols represent the continuing battle between my inner Edie Brickell and my inner Betty Page.

I feel: confused. What happened to my inner Ben Stein?


The battle wages on between my inner kittens.

As for the motel, apparently that also means that I am going through a transitional phase.
I feel: redundant. Didn’t I already cover this with the wedding?

The bathroom, on the other hand, represents my urges. I quit reading this one because it made me giggle too much. They talked about “relieving” myself and “cleansing.” Tee hee!

I feel: silly.

Since I had a hole in the bathroom, however, I figured that must be symbolic somehow. I had no reference for “hole in the bathroom,” so I just went with “hole in the ground.” The definition was really stupid, however, so I’m just skipping that, too.

I feel: bored.

On to the professor, then! According to Dreammoods, a professor “symbolizes higher learning and wisdom.” Apparently the people at Dreammoods have only seen professors on television. Or at least they haven’t met Cliff. Anyway, apparently Cliff’s presence in my dream means that I “will have prominence in some field.” My guess is that field will be Coan Rec during Thursday night goaltimate, while I’m yelling at Cliff to clear out of the &@$@*!# goal. Oh! And I mentioned my dream to Cliff on Saturday.

Cliff feels: depersonalized. He’s a PhD, and, thus, he uses big words.

More groundbreaking insight comes with the explication of the classroom. Guess what? That means that I am learning something! Seriously? Why can’t it symbolize drudgery or complete depression? What life lesson did I ever learn in a classroom?

I feel: smarter than the people at Dreammoods.

The dresses represent femininity. Now this interpretation I can buy, even if it is pretty rudimentary. Specifically the white dress means that I am trying to appear pure. Trying? My name even (sometimes) means “pure one.” Back off, Dreammoods!

I feel: like laying the smack down on my inner Betty Page. Who dares question my purity?!

My mom, in another shocking move by Dreammoods, represents stereotypical motherly qualities. The conversation, however, is supposed to symbolize actual unresolved issues between me and my real mother (not my inner mother (which might be the same as my inner Edie Brickell)). Thus, she and I are currently working around the clock to determine what these issues are in an effort to resolve them before the pending Thanksgiving Holiday. We certainly don’t want to ruin everyone else’s vacation with our issues, specifically ones related to my choices in apparel.

I feel: proactive.

Now here’s a good one: the shoes. This imagery came late in the game, but it is a welcome change from some of these WYSIWYG dream icons. Specifically, having inappropriate shoes (we’ll count “barefoot” as inappropriate footware for a wedding) means that I need to stop and rethink my path in life. Continuing with my current ways, subsequently, will result in pain and gnashing of teeth.

I feel: like a candle in the wind.

Finally, I was unable to find an entry for carjacking. Instead I went with “robbery.” Interesting choice of words we find in this definition: identity crisis. No way! Raise your hand if you have heard me talk about mine at any point over the last two months. Finally! Something that makes sense! Dreammoods had a few other possibilities for this element the dream, but I am choosing to ignore them since I now have subconscious PROOF that I am having an identity crisis. So for all you naysayers out there who didn’t believe it was true, IT IS. I AM having an identity crisis! Ha!

I feel: justified.

Synthesis: I learned this word as part of my educational studies degree. Thanks, Emory!

Ok, so here’s the short list:

Missed opportunity at a new beginning
The Mary vs. Eve issue
More transitional/new beginning crap
The need to release my feelings and thoughts into the toilet that is all of humanity
Achievement of higher learning and renown in a certain field
The learning of a life lesson
Femininity and purity (see above Eve/Mary stuff)
Issues with mom
Changing my current ways
Identity crisis

I can’t even begin to synthesize all of this. Any takers?

6 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Amy said...

i have it all figured out. you've been kind of toying lately with going back to school. i think that you feel like you've missed the boat already, but the classroom figured into your dream to show you that, in fact, you have not. the mother stuff might figure in because you wonder if you will be shooting yourself in the marriage foot if you go back to school, since that is a scary beginning and not conducive to marriage. or perhaps it is just in the back of your mind anyway, unrelated to school. that would explain why your date was someone your grandmother told you to "hold on to." a candidate for marriage. but this bothers you because as an independent woman, you feel guilt at wanting marriage because that is not what we are taught to base our concept of self worth on. so these parts of you--the marriage part and the going back to school part--are warring for dominance and you are then stuck with an identity crisis. you don't have issue with your mother. you have issues with the fact that you aren't one yet and you don't necessarily ever want to be. the good news is that your dream is telling you if you choose to go back to school you will succeed. maybe at the expense of your other option of wife/mother. but you will succeed.

whew. to heck with this lawyer crap. i'm going to work for dreammoods.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger KQ said...

It is true- my grandmother is obsessed with Jonathan Robinson (she says "hi!", Jon). And also Jesse Turner.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger LawDog84 said...

First, Amy sounds like one of those "other" lawyers. Hmmm. I don't trust you, Amy, leave my little sister to her confused rantings. THBBBBBBT!

Um, well, you have weird dreams, and you have those weird dreams so that your friends and relatives can read entertaining narratives when the work they are doing makes them want to put a bullet in the brain-pan, squish.

As an aside, trial work is fun, but it's also very stressful. Thank you, and goodnight.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger KQ said...

No, no- Amy is in lawyer SCHOOL, T. Read her blog and tell her whether or not she should continue with her studies. She's having her annual freak-out and whatnot.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Amy said...

hmmm. i've been raspberried on blog comments. what kind of lawyer does that? hopefully, you don't use that as an argument in your trial work. tho that might be easier for the jury to comprehend than "prepoderance of the evidence."

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Ned said...

I didn't really read your post...but that picture is AWESOME. Best kitty combat picture I've ever seen. And I have seen a bunch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home