A Series of Insignificant Events
Mother’s Day always feels weird when I’m not with my mom. In
(For the record, I also sent my mom a cute picture of my cat that I took with my cell phone camera while still in bed this morning- because I just care THAT much.)
Later, at the store, I eavesdropped on a woman and a little girl I presume was her daughter talking about hamsters. They were actually discussing how hamsters might die (apparently dryers are often involved), and the woman started talking about how some of her favorite hamsters had died when she was a child. She wistfully recalled her two favorites: Peanut Butter and Don Julio. The former had died of some dryer-related incident (I think he was left on top of one while a cycle was running, so I guess maybe he had a little hamster heart-attack?), but I didn’t stick around long enough to learn the fate of Don Julio. Perhaps he was air-fluffed to death. Regardless, aside from the obvious awesomeness of just knowing a child somewhere named their hamster Don Julio, I was really taken with how candid this adult and child were with one another- especially considering they were talking about beloved pets dying. Both were very straightforward and unsentimental and incredibly familiar with one another. It was sweet- much more so than the teenagers pretending to blow their brains out (that was after the wrist-slitting, which apparently isn't enough).
The cashier at the same store wished me a happy Mother’s Day as I was leaving. She was so nice about it that I said “thanks!” without even thinking. Upon further reflection, I feel like maybe we should start treating Mother’s Day the same way we do the honorary day formerly known as Secretary’s Day in that we should probably stop assuming that all women fall into one or both of those categories. It doesn’t REALLY upset me that this woman thought I had babies (ok, it does, but I guess since I am rapidly approaching 30 I should start being less taken aback by the assumption), but I felt the same way when someone gave me a plant and a card for Administrative Assistant’s Day when I had my first job. I wasn’t anyone’s assistant then, and I’m not anyone’s mother now. Unless you count my cat, which I’m told I should refrain from doing if I ever want to find myself a nice husband and have real human babies. That and buy a push-up bra. Anyway, I guess I appreciate the sentiment . . . ?
For the record, it is an absolutely beautiful day in


4 Comments:
MUSHROOM ALERT
That's a really good point, Edelman. Had I gone home to Memphis for Mother's Day, I very well may have encountered a Mushroom Alert which would have resulted in me being forced to crawl around the backyard for hours in search of mostly harmless fungi.
in honor of those hamsters who've gone before us, here are happier hamster times:
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/05/12/funny-pictures-jazz-hams
Kathleen you better start doing some freelance writing. That is my semi-professional opinion.
On another note, I like to think that the hamster was somehow involved in BUILDING the dryer, and that because of some miscalculations by another engineer hamster, the voltage was too high on the part he was working on and he sizzled to death--another tragic loss at the Hamster Factory.
Post a Comment
<< Home