Friday, July 03, 2009

Nice to Meet You, Korsakoff. Who the Hell Are You Again?

In a move that would seem to indicate a deficiency in my short term memory (or at least an inability to read my own blog), I am once again far away from Houston for the weekend. I am, in fact, back in Atlanta, and I imagine that I will not want to leave once Sunday morning comes. This time around, however, a large chunk of my fellow TFA '09ers have also taken off to various destinations in order to more adequately observe our National Holiday. Thus, I suspect that sitting alone in Moody Towers all weekend might actually be more depressing than going somewhere I love a whole lot more than Houston for two days only to be yanked back into the heat and sprawl for one last week.

And that's actually pretty weird. I know it's cliched to not believe that something is almost over, but I really can't believe that Institute is almost over. I feel like I have been in Houston FOR.EVER. and the idea that I am about to pick up and head back to Mississippi in 7 days is making me a little giddy. The kids in my class have finished up their TAKS re-takes, and that meas that many of them may not even show up next week. Which is also sort of great. I mean- except that it's not because we are all still dedicated to closing the achievement gap and stuff. I'm just saying- it's easier when you're closing 5 or 6 gaps instead of 18. And the gaps that get up and run around and punch one another aren't going to be there.

And so, while I am probably once again setting myself up for a little bit of a letdown upon landing at Houston Hobby, I will do so this time with the knowledge that I only have 3-4 real days of teaching left. I AM excited about heading back to the Delta at the end of next week, too. I am ready to find a place to live and start settling in for the next two years. Of course, that also means I'm closer to Memphis and closer to getting my cat back and closer to being in Not Houston. Happy times.

It is an absolutely beautiful day in Atlanta, by the way. I am sitting at Danneman's, which makes me very happy (and not just because Kate just gave me not one but two paychecks- hooray!), and am hopefully going to head to the pool shortly. Tomorrow shall be dedicated to America's birthday girl, Erin Quist. Happy 4th of July, folks! Give me a ring if you're in the A-town and want to cart me around town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home